Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Settling in... Letting things Go, and Living Life With A New Baby

I'm realizing I need to get rid of some of this pregnancy food I've got laying around here from all of my various food phases that took place over the past nine months.

Eight different kinds of mustard. Pickled asparagus. A weird amount of sauerkraut....
I don't even like instant grits normally, but at one point they were imperative.

Yep, currently I find myself beginning to move on to a new chapter of four kids and not pregnant. It feels SO GOOD to lay on my stomach again, and also to not have the skin on my belly hurting, and to not be in acid-reflux hell all night. (I could go on).

The pregnancy is over and has all given way to a mild state of laundry-shock, and an extra cup of coffee every day.  Holy piles of clothing.

But sometimes with more "stress" comes extra patience and freedom. The secret? The key is giving up. Not totally giving up mind you - don't sit in jammies all day. But I'm letting stuff like laundry go for a bit longer.  The kids have marker all over their legs? No big deal. As long as they don't stink like urine I have no time to bathe them each any more than once a week.

A more laid back approach than I'm used to (along with evening wine) has been my saving grace in these first two weeks.

I'm also throwing stuff out left and right. Yep, all the time. Garbage or the giveaway bags that stand ever waiting in the garage for more "stuff" we don't really need to fill them. Garbage or giveaway, whatever the choice, I've found a new freedom in just tossing it. Out it goes!

There's stuff I've held onto that needs sewing - it's out - don't have time. That same old toy that no one plays with but I always step on - out.  Art projects sitting on the counter - this one tugs at my heartstrings - but, out.

I'm only one person. I can't file or fix everything, or find every freaking toy part we're missing. Switching around my expectations for what I can bring to the table around here has been amazing. It's cleaner and less cluttered and I can spend more time with my many children.  And just enjoying the baby, because her head smells like cookies.  And she makes the cutest noises.

To any mom who just added in another baby - I highly recommend this giving up thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment