Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy New Year. I've Got Goals.

 I'm not really a big New Years Resolution person. Normally if I wanna do something I'll just... do it. But this year I've got A goal. One. It involves christmas. 
I went all our this year. I decked the halls - which I think I'll never not do. I sent out packages to close family members who live states away. I bought presents for my siblings and thier families, and for my husband's siblings likewise. Baked cookies with my boys. I wrapped gifts while swatting little hands away from presents. We got a tree and decorated it. 

I just didn't like it this year. Not to be a scrooge. Part of it is we have like 4 birthdays in the family at christmas time and it's just getting to be alot to buy for.  
But also things felt too forced this year. I do the Christmas things because I want my children to feel the glowing magic I felt when I was little. But what I really want is for them to know that it's about Jesus being born. That mystery which is the most beautiful part. 

How on earth do I accomplish that with the excitement of gifts and Santa at every turn? 
I admit I was so busy this year that just operated on automatic  mostly.  My few attempts were a nativity scene, and children's books about the Christmas story. But the focus on Jesus kind of got lost in the mix alongside other books about Santa, movies with the grinch, and alllll the presents. And what kid wouldn't be extremely excited for presents? I don't want them to miss out on fun. 
In fact they were so excited that on Christmas eve I found them hiding in the living room trying to wait for santa. We had put them to bed and were outside by the bonfire once we knew they were sleeping. But I found them like this at about midnight.

 It was SO Cute. I actually ate a whole bowl of pudding on the couch before I heard something stirring off to the side and finally realized they had been lying right there, fast asleep.

Maybe I'm just confused a little as a parent. I mean I'm still semi-new at this mom thing. I just need to figure out what Christmas looks like in our home. 
     So my goal for this year's christmas in 2016 is first-off to buy less presents, but also to figure out the things I wasn't sure about such as, which traditions do I keep around for them? What societal norms do I want to subscribe to? Which ones are just fun and harmless? What traditions at thier level of comprehension can I use to bring the story of Christ to thier little hearts?
And then maybe when they're 18 I'll finally know exactly what I'm doing. Just kidding. Gonna shoot for this year. And I would love any input on some cool Christ-centered Christmas traditions for young children!

No comments:

Post a Comment