Sunday, June 24, 2018

"As you walk along the road, as you lie down..."

I was taking my 7 year old son to the chiropractor today. As we were driving we hit some stop and go traffic randomly. But then I realized why there was traffic in the first place...

A police officer was walking a shirtless man in handcuffs from a vehicle all the way across the median and six lanes. I watched the man's sweaty face... Long streams of cars stretched out on either end all around us. There was a look on his face of shame, like he knew everyone was watching him and this was utter humiliation. I thought about how he to used to be a little boy once.  My heart filled with compassion. I actually felt very embarrassed for him and my heart just went out to this guy whoever he was.

In the passenger's seat, my son was just aghast with excitement and awe. "Mom! Those are handcuffs? A real bad guy! It's my first time seeing a real bad guy? Is he going to jail? Oh my gosh!"  The scandal of it all was utterly fascinating for him.

There is a verse I try to keep close to my heart when it comes to raising children. Deuteronomy 11:18-19 talks about the commands of the Lord: "Fix these words of mine into your mind and being, and tie them as a reminder on your hands and let them be symbols on your forehead. Teach them to your children and Speak of them as you sit in your house, as you walk along the road, as you lie down, and as you get up."

 This was a good opportunity to talk about life to my son sitting next to me, as he sat totally scandalized by the idea of bad guys, jail, and handcuffs. In the New Testament, His commands are about how to love one another, just as He loves us. God commands grace and mercy.

It's so important that we teach our little ones about God's ways in the dull, everyday, mundane moments of life. While sitting in traffic, emptying the dishwasher together, waiting at the doctor's office, or (shudder) the DMV. I remember my dad doing that with my sibs and I.

"What are you learning about in your Bible camp?" I asked him.  Like Any smart mom I have my boys signed up for VBS every week all summer. "We are learning that Jesus saves" he replied.

 "And what does Jesus do when you do wrong?" I ask him.  He replied Jesus forgives. "That's right good job!" I told him. I said it doesn't matter how old you are or how many times you do wrong or what you did. Jesus will always forgive you no matter what, if you come to Him. We talked about how, even though sometimes other people may be mad at us, or giving us consequences, we can always run to Jesus and he will not judge us - only give us love.

That is not to say that I don't understand there are consequences to our actions. I am a daughter of a cop. I grew up with an understanding of what law and order is, and why it is necessary to society.  This police officer I am sure was doing right by his job and I am very grateful to have the men in blue around to protect and to serve us at a moments notice.

But on an emotional and spiritual level, I also understand shame. I have a brother with a long list of criminal offenses. I've had an interesting life perspective in that I've seen firsthand both ends of a continuum In society. Heck, I understand shame just because of the fact that I am human! And I Realize that my children will all have their own personal run ins with feeling the shame of doing wrong, because that is a part of life.

It's in those crucial moments that I hope that they will run to Jesus to lay down this burden of guilt. I hope I can raise them so they will understand that they will never be turned away, that His grace is sufficient - even when they deserve nothing. That love is there waiting. And that is my hope for this man as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment