Thursday, June 25, 2015

Thankful Thursdays Vol. 2

Thankful Thursdays  Week 2:

This week, I am thankful for...
1) A two-month old who sleeps well! With three little ones this is a huge blessing. She sleeps about 5 hours straight at night.
2) A garden, finally! Yep, you read that right - it's the end of June... I know. But I also just bad a baby so this hasn't been a banner year for getting crops in. Also I'm not a good gardener. Also I loathe gardening. But I went over to my next door neighbor's farm and she gave me all these plants for free!
Sheila is in her late 60's and tough as nails. She works her fields dawn to dusk and has a heart of gold.  I walked over wearing the baby with my boys following and we chatted while she smoked. This woman amazes me. She sells her truckloads of jams, salsas, handmade crafts and fresh fruits and veggies at the farmer's markets all over the metro area. she had tons of stuff for me: veggies, flowers, herbs, hanging plants, the whole shebang. Got those puppies in over the weekend.
3) My relationship with my little sister. She and I are 7 years apart but you wouldn't know it. We share a similar sense of humor and even look alike. We were raised in a pretty volatile household and always stuck together and looked out for each other - the bond is strong. 
She is the one on the right.
Well my baby sis moved to Colorado 2 years ago at the tender age of 22 and is doing quite well out there. I go for walks in the evenings sometimes on the dirt roads out here and we talk on the phone forever. Dang I miss her! But so thankful for the awesome depth in our relationship.
4) The fact that my husband doesn't have a shot-gun.
Funny story...So last night as I was leaving to go teach piano and telling my hubby what to feed the kids for dinner, I heard what sounded like one of our chickens possibly in distress. I came back inside to tell him he might want to check on them, then I drove away.
When I got home, my husband ran up to me and said "Emily! I have to tell you why I NEED a shotgun now! with your permission of course - There was a turkey on our property! That's what was making all that noise!  We could be eating turkey tomorrow if I had a shotgun. Think about it. "
I asked why he couldn't just shoot it with a regular gun if he has to shoot it, and he said you have to use a shotgun. (I have no clue about guns and don't really care).
Then he posted a video on FB of the alleged turkey walkin around our yard like he owned the place. His coworker commented that it was in fact a guinea hen, but a turkey. Turns out it's actually the neighbor's guinea hen, lost and looking for her brood. So no, in case you are wondering, my husband does not get to have a shotgun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment