Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Light and Fluffy Banana Waffles (Dairy, Sugar, and Gluten free)





I love the taste of bananas with maple syrup in the morning. These two flavors are like two peas in a pod.  Oh my goodness!

These are the best waffles I know how to make.
This will probably come off as bragging (it is)....  But you need to know that these are 
restaurant quality

                                   
They practically bounced with lightness from waffle iron to plate.  Imagine my surprise to see that I had pretty much stumbled upon the perfect amount of every ingredient. (That almost never happens for me on the first try of a new recipe.)




Let's discuss the flour. I've written about this one before. As of now it's still not widely used or known about, but this here flour I used is called "Green Banana Flour".  Now go order yourself some off Amazon right now. Off with you! 

Don't get scared of the word Banana. No we are not talking the bananas in your cupboard. Green banana flour is not filled with insulin-spiking sugar like those ones.  Waaaay different ball game. These are unripened green bananas.


Why is it so great? Here's the deal. For starters, what you make with this flour will come out with the light/fluffy texture of a regular, terrible-for-you normal bread product. Isn't that awesome? 

Also, I've struggled with hypoglycemia since I was a little girl (blood sugar issues), and this flour is a healthy carb with a low gycemic index. Yes, lower than oat flour (and for sure rice, wheat, spelt, or kamut flours). It's actually a resistant starch. And it's easier to work with than gummy bean flours like garbanzo, or heavy flours like almond/coconut. 

Also we're talking surprisingly low calorie count. I personally am not a counter but I still say that's great. Go here for more info and fun recipes. 

Just got home from school and ready for mommy's waffles :)


'K so now that we've had the necessary flour talk, Make these!

Recipe: Makes 10-12 Waffles.

Get that waffle maker hot n' ready. Spray with oil.

Mix the dry ingredients first:

2 C. banana flour
1/3 C. Oats
2 Tbsp ground flax seed
2 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthum gum

Now mix the wet ingredients. Start with the mashed banana, sweetener, and egg. Then put in the others.

1 mashed banana
1 egg
1/2 C. sweetener (I use Pyure granular)
1 C. egg whites
1 C. Almond, cashew, or coconut milk
1 1/2 tsp banana extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the wet and dry mixes, and begin making your waffles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment