Friday, September 15, 2017

Yellow Birthday Cake (Gluten, Sugar, dairy free, low carb)


This was quite a hit!  It tasted like buttery rich birthday cake, and people were having seconds.  ***This is an S for you trim healthy momma's***


For my daughter's 2nd birthday, I thought I'd make her my own fave...yellow cake - cuz who isn't in love with yellow cake batter right? I Looooved that stuff when I was little. 


Too bad it always made me feel like crap. 


So I made this up instead and omg - it actually turned out well. I mean, really well. Please don't get me wrong - I've bought a box mix before and I'll do it again. Not a perfect mom here baking all foods from scratch. But hey, sometimes it just works out. :)




Digging into her birthday cake!

My little boy's sticky fingers going in for more...

Recipe:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You need to double this recipe if you are making a layer cake like I did (for two layers)


Combine the dry mix:

1/4 C. plus 2 Tbsp Almond flour

1/4 C. Coconut flour
2 Tbsp flax meal
1/3 Oat fiber (Here you can sub Almond Flour)
1 Tbsp Collagen (optional)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
scant 1/8 tsp. xanthum gum 

~ Mix well.

Combine the Wet mix:


First, cream together the butter or oil, with the sugar. Add the egg next. Then add in the rest....
1/3 C. canned butternut squash puree
2 eggs
1 C Truvia Baking sugar mix
3 Tbsp Butter or oil
2 Tbsp Honey
1/4 C. Almond milk
3 drops of yellow food coloring (optional, but that is how this cake looks yellow)
Extracts: 1/2 tsp. each of butter, almond and vanilla.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  


For cupcakes... Pour into 10 cupcake liners, and bake for 25 minutes. Fill the two middle holes with water. 


For a cake... Pour batter into a greased round pan (two for the doubled recipe).  

Or use an 8-inch square baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. 

For the Frosting...


3/4 c. greek yogurt

1/4 /c. butter or olive oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla
8 ounces softened cream cheese
*coconut flour as needed. 
I sweetened this with powdered xylitol and liquid stevia to taste. 
Now just cream it all together with a mixer and you're good to go!
*Note: Play with the thickness of this frosting by adding in sifted coconut flour until you have the desired consistency. 




No comments:

Post a Comment