Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Low Carb Scalloped Potatoes - Make This.


 Creamy Au Gratin Radishes?  You will not be sorry. (I promise they don't taste like radishes).

Recently I was out shopping when my sons started playing with some produce. One of them had this radish in his hand. I thought, that would be cool to experiment with in a scalloped potato-like dish! So I let him put it in his little cart and moved my offspring on to destroy peruse another isle.

I often enjoy cooked radishes. But for this recipe I'm not talking about the little red ones. We're talking daikon radishes. Like a long white carrot.


The result was so good - a rich and creamy comfort food dish....


This recipe surpassed my expectations. I could not believe how good it was! I mean - we're talking radishes here. Not commonly thought of as a very delectable food. Just know that when cooked, they taste completely different than their spicy raw selves. More like a turnip/potato.


On a cold and rainy spring day, this was some pretty awesome comfort food loaded with flavor.


Side Note: I have included a dairy-free option.  For personal reasons, I am usually dairy-free. I am not allergic to dairy but it does make me break out if I eat enough of it so I usually steer clear. I did try this dairy free as well and it was really good! The photos are of the dairy free one with parmesan and almond flour.

Recipe using dairy:               Recipe with no dairy:

1 large daikon Radish.                             
1 C. chopped onions                               
2 Tbps cream cheese             - 2 Tbsp. daiya cream cheese
1/4 C. almond milk
One laughing cow cheese wedge.    -omit
2 Tbsp. Mayonaise                       - Veganaise
2 Tbsp. Parmesan                             - omit
1/4 C. Almond flour (breadcrumbs also work)
Italian seasoning
garlic salt

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400.

Peel and thinly slice the radish. Combine the cream cheese, milk, and mayo in a small bowl and heat for 30 seconds in the microwave so you can stir it all together well.  Mix in garlic salt and seasoning.

Grease a 9x13 in. pan and layer the radishes, sprinkling the onions on top. Drizzle on the creamy mixture. Sprinkle the almond flour or bread crumbs on top. Sprinkle parmesan over that.

Bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment