Thursday, March 31, 2016

Rest In Peace Crazy Bird, And Other News

 I was a bridesmaid this week as my dear friend got married. A sweet perk from that: she had all my kids in her wedding (ring bearers and flower girl).  This enormous event forced all of us to get dressed up on the very same day (gasp!). Do you believe we still didn't get a family picture? I was a busy maid of honor.  There are however, some pics with 2 or 3 of us in them at a time. Observe:



Here's what else is new this week:

1. This straw contraption is awesome. I used it to re-direct today during a meaningless fight they were having. You put on the glasses and watch the liquid get sucked up. Together they took turns and drank 1and a half  liters of coconut water. They wanted to continue because they were having so much fun but I had to be the voice of reason in all this craziness and put an end to the liquid-fest. Afterwards, I convinced them to go downstairs and jump around quietly so they could hear all the water sloshing around in their bellies. They did, and I had 5 treasured minutes of quiet time. To buy it go here.




2.  Two words: Easter. Dress. Not mine - my baby girl's. This was my first Easter with a daughter in my life. I have always wanted to do the whole Easter dress thing with my own little girl! And now I have one and it's every bit as precious as I thought it would be!

3. Breastfeeding and all that jazz is still goin on. We are weaning. We're down to just morning noon and night feedings. Sometimes just morning and night. I can see why some women have called breastfeeding "the long goodbye". It is very bittersweet, this weaning process. Hard to let go. I can't believe she is almost one years old next week! I really thought we'd be nursing longer than this.

 I'm thankful for each feeding. I remember going through this with my now-3-yr-old... I'd often be holding him sentimentally and thinking "this could be my last time nursing him".

4. I'm thankful for a few friends who came over and chatted me up today. Women need each other.

5.  Thankful that my husband has a gun. R.i.p. my poor little chicken Carol! This one is sad.... sigh. I was knee deep in dinner prep by my stove when my hubby peeked his head through the door saying woefully, "You closed the gate on the chickens when I had wanted it open for a reason. One of 'em is cut up pretty badly. She's not gonna make it. Now I gotta go take care of her." He literally had to go shoot her and put her out of her misery.  Which is super sad for him because he is the one who raised them since they were a day old.

Here she is recently, behind Skipper.
I was shocked because I had just been out there collecting their eggs a few hours ago. But it seems a fairly large wild critter attacked one of them and then the hen tried to run into it's fenced-in pen for safety but I had closed the gate and Brandon found her wedged through the wire all torn up but alive.

I'm so sad. she was my favorite. Brandon took care of it and I could not go out there and look.  Oh Carol. Our only white one and she acted as weird as she looked. She was such an oddball that I named her after this meme because of her weirdness:


We would always find her away from the others and in strange places like on the roof. Sigh. Rest in peace you crazy ladybird.

6.  On that note, I'm also thankful I spent extra time sweet-talking the chickens when I collected eggs from the girls a few days ago. I am way too sensitive for this world. In Brandon's words, I would never be able to handle life on a farm.

7.  I'm thankful that I live in the U.S. of A.  I was watching the news this week and was so saddened by what goes on in the middle east. (late night news, where they show more). We have it really good here. I can't believe how some people live, and how little freedom some human beings actually have. It is totally foreign to my psyche.


Well, this post went downhill fast. Anyway, Congratulations Amber! It was a beautiful wedding! Let us dance while we can because life is short.  I'm gonna go drink to that now.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The critter that (we think) got ahold of Carol was an eagle. Normally an eagle would easily make off with the lunch but I suspect the dog intervened, scaring off the predator.

    ReplyDelete